More about Drinking Water for Weight Loss
My Eat Smart newsletter subscribers recently received a hot tip on how drinking more water can help them achieve their weight loss goals.
The tip was taken from my upcoming book, Eat Smart and Lose Weight: Scientifically Proven Ways to Lose Weight without Diets or Exercise, which will be out in the next couple of months.
Many were curious about the research done in this area, so I promised to post some additional information on one of my blogs.
Multiple studies have documented the effectiveness of water as a weight loss strategy including the studies mentioned below.
- · One study found that adults who drank half a liter (17 ounces) of water before their meals lost 44% more weight over a 12-week period compared to those who drank no water before their meals.
- · Researchers from Virginia Tech had test subjects drink two glasses of water before each meal. They lost 30% more weight in 12 weeks than the test subjects who didn't drink any water before their meals.
- · Based on the results of a German study on water and weight loss, researchers estimated that simply by drinking the equivalent of an extra 17 ounces of water 3 times a day, a person could lose at least 5 pounds in a year’s time.
- · Another study found that people who drank two glasses of water immediately before a meal ate 22% less than those who didn't drink any water prior to eating.
- · According to WebMD (an online health resource), drinking water before meals can result in eating an average of 75 fewer calories per meal.
· Researchers noted in a "water-weight loss" study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, that the extra weight loss in those who drank water could be attributed to consuming fewer calories and carbohydrates.
These studies highlight only one of the many ways water can be used as a successful weight loss strategy.
I've included at least one water tip in every chapter Almost every chapter of Eat Smart and Lose Weight includes at least one water tip because water can facilitate weight loss in so many different ways,
For more information about the book, click here.